18.11.13

HERB REPUBLIC

If I were to join a pageant, my introduction would be: Kristine Domondon, 25, Herb Republic!

HA!! I saw it! It made you cringe! hahaha! Good morning, love!

If you have read my previous posts, you can tell how much I love herbs. Remember that garden show I wrote about? And my herb-y aglio olio? Yes? Well, thank you, keep reading. Since I failed to have my own herb garden, I fashioned myself a new hobby. I take a stroll near a store selling herbs, stop by to smell every herb on display, and then let out a hearty sigh as though I smelled the finest of flowers. That makes me happy already. (read: mababaw

My desire to be in a land of herbs is palpable. So imagine my joy when I chanced to visit the ultimate herb haven at the very heart of Los Banos, Laguna -- Herb Republic. Oh dear, take it from the name, it simply is the best place to be.  


They are committed to serve food of superior quality -- from seed to table. According to Tita Pearl, Herb Republic is dedicated to promote sustainable farming practices. The pork and chicken dishes they serve are antibiotic-free and growth hormone-free, and the vegetables are organic. Healthy stuff!



First stop, their signature salad with garlic dip. Tomatoes, mushrooms and my lovely greens. This leafy bunch is a mix of mint, tarragon, gotukola, lettuce. The way the flavors danced in my taste buds is just awesome. Herb Republic salad, P215



For the appetizer, we had a serving of Shitake mushroom tempura with sesame dip. Oh my goodness, this is just perfect. Crunchy, tasty... need I say more? Shitake mushroom tempura, P175.00


For the chicken entree, we picked garlic basil baked chicken (half) over their bestseller. This is basil, people. We're talking about my first herb crush here. And boy, this do not disappoint. The chicken is so flavorful it can go sans honey mustard dip. Garlic basil baked chicken (whole) P367.00.
 



Jeorge and Cat find this too strong but I liked it a lot! The flavor of the tarragon made a wild twist to the regular iced tea I'm accustomed to. Plus, this drink has a unique talent! I swear! It looks cool. Tarragon iced tea, P69.00



I love cucumber. My friends used to call me the "Pipino (cucumber) girl". The flavor is so light and very refreshing, I can drink this straight like water. Kulang. I need a jug of this one. Mint cucumber cooler, P69.00.


The moment I saw this, WOOOOW PINK! And then it hit me "What's this again?", because I don't remember ordering a strawberry-flavored smoothie. Fellas, this is vanilla banana frost--in candy pink. It tastes great but I am more fascinated by the color. Vanilla banana frost, P69.00


And because you're reading this, this is for you! Say aaaaahhhh! See, I value readers who can take my insanity.


I took this gastronomic journey with these two wonderful people. It's not everyday we get the chance to get together and engage ourselves in some crazy talks down memory lane. It feels like undergrad days once again...



Photos by: Jeorge Yamuyam

There's so much more to try! I'll be back soon. :)

Herb Republic
Km 63 Lopez Ave., Batong Malake
Los Banos, Laguna

Conquering the world one bite at a time,


No comments: